Monday, April 28, 2014

TEST - What Kind Of Picker Are You?


You are in luck...no test today!    

I have found that SO many people have entirely different opinions as to what makes someone a "picker" that I simply can not create a test of any kind that will not end up taking hours of your time. 

I will still continue to express some opinions throughout this blog as to what makes a picker.  Sometimes I may ask you some questions that you can answer for me..so leave a comment, opinion, thought, etc,  make yourself heard! 


I have always considered myself a true picker. At first when people were calling me a "picker" rather than a "antiques dealer" I wasn't all that thrilled...somehow, at the time, "picker" seemed to me to be demeaning . It took a little while, but I started to realize that the dealers who were calling me a "picker" were complimenting me, rather than being negative. I was good at picking...that is what I wanted to do, anyway, not be a "dealer" sitting in a shop.

That came later. I became an "antiques dealer with a store" out of necessity, due to geographic location and the market I had access to.

I did come up with lots of fresh stuff.  I wanted to move it, but didn't want to get ripped-off on the stuff, either, though. A couple dealers made that mistake...assuming that I wouldn't figure out they were offering me far less than wholesale. In their arrogance/ignorance they perhaps figured their "knowledge" was worth far more than my sweat, fuel, time, energy, interpersonal skills, research skills, etc.

My knowledge base built quickly with experience. I learn fast....or so I like to believe!

So, what makes a picker, in my eyes?

Well....that is a loaded question. Whatever I answer I know there will be all sorts of differences in opinion.  Besides, you need to address some other issues...mainly the fact that there is several KINDS of pickers.

Myself I have adopted the moniker of a "Hardcore Picker". 
I define that as a person who makes his money in the "junk biz", mainly in the vintage end of things, but does what is necessary in the junk biz as a whole to make a living. If I need to haul scrap metal to help pay some bills, I do it. If I need to "re-purpose" items, re-market items, wholesale, hold some auctions, retail, do flea markets, etc, etc, etc to make some cash, I will. But, my main focus is vintage. I have an affinity for "junk", but vintage items have the firmest grip on my being.

So, what other kinds of pickers do I feel exist out there? 

You'll just have to wait for next post to find out!






2 comments:

  1. Got a few questions as I'm new to this and you seem to have a great breadth of knowledge and experience. Do you pick just to put stuff in you shop or do you take it to the auction house? Do you buy from one auction and then resell stuff at another auction? Is so do you find you have a consistent & good return? When you go picking how and where do you find leads for the various collectors who might have what you're looking for? Thanks, looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pick stuff for a variety of reasons, and dispose of the merchandise in a variety of ways. You win some, you loose some, profits are made, money is lost, which is simply the way of business. Your questions actually each would take a blog posting to answer....and in some cases, multiple blog postings to answer. If you read through the rest of the blog, you will slowly come to a realization of the how, why, what, when of what I do, and the passions involved, the underlying reasons, struggles of all sorts, etc. The lessons learned on the journey is worth the trip. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete